||OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY
Obstetrics and Gynaecology (often abbreviated to OB/GYN, O&G or Obs & Gynae) are the two surgical specialties dealing with the female reproductive organs, and as such are often combined to form a single medical specialty and postgraduate training program. This combined training prepares the practicing OB/GYN to be adept at the surgical management of the entire scope of clinical pathology involving female reproductive organs, and to provide care for both pregnant and non-pregnant patients.
Examples of subspecialty training available to physicians are:
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine - an obstetrical subspecialty that focuses on the medical and surgical management of high-risk pregnancies
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility- subspecialty that focuses on the biological causes and interventional treatment of infertility
- Gynaecological Oncology - gynaecologic subspecialty focusing on the medical and surgical treatment of women with cancers of the reproductive organs
- Urogynaecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery - gynaecologic subspecialty focusing on the diagnosis and surgical treatment of women with urinary incontinence and prolapse of the pelvic organs. Sometimes referred to (incorrectly) by laypersons as "Female Urology"
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Family planning - gynaecologic subspecialty offering training in contraception and (sometimes) pregnancy termination (abortion)
- Pediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology
- Menopausal and Geriatric Gynaecology
This Category is currently empty